Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Harthal= HURT ALL



Just another day in my life...I was thinking what to post in my blog ...Even after thinking for 1 hour, I could nt find any thing worth posting. At last, I started to go thru the messages in my mobile, as if I could get some important information in that. Found a message from one of my friends. "Angane Veendum oru Harthal. Hathal Aasamsakal ...." [ Yeah, one more Harthal. Harthal Wishes...more blah blah...].. I checked the date , I got that message. July 3rd. Typed 'July 3rd kerala harthal' in google and started to read the stuff...

I realized that there is a site dedicated exclusively for Harthal . They define Harthal like this:
" "Hartal"
is a Gujarati word. "Har" means "everything" or "always"; "Tal" or "tala" means "to close". The word "hartal" means a day of mourning or protest, on which all the shops are shut and no-one goes to work or does any shopping. " What a nice definition for Harthal. It should be called as HURT ALL.

I was curious to know the reason for Harthal. Because there was a harthal on June 27th - a protest against some Amarnath land issue or some thing. Another harthal with in a week.... The reason for the Harthal on July 3rd was even more interesting. " Some Controversy in Seventh Standard Social Studies Text Book". The controversial section starts with a heading "mathammillatha jeevan" (atheist jeevan or more precisely jeevan who has no religion).



The lesson is something like this: A kid came for admission accompanied by his parents. Head Master started to fill the Application Form.

HM: What is ur name?
kid: Jeevan
HM: Good..nice name..Ur father's name?
kid: Anwar Rasheed
HM:Mother's name?
kid: Lekshmi Devi

HM raised his head (looking at the parents) and asked : What shud I fill in the place for the child's religion?
Father: Need not write any thing. or Better write NO RELIGION
HM:Caste?
Father:No
HM: what if this kid feels that he needs a religion when he grows up?
Father: Let him follow the religion that he feels as good..

I could not find any thing wrong in the above textual material.I dont know whether there is any hidden Communist Thought in this particular material.

No comments: